Top Ten Tips to ...Get Children Active!
Children love to be active and once given the opportunity they will be.
Being active is not only fun but it is healthy too.
Here are some tips to get your children active:
1. Get active yourself. Children learn through example and are 5 times more likely to be active if their parents are.
2. Switch off the TV and limit screen time. Agree a time limit and stick with it. Remember there is no chance of children being active when watching the TV.
3. Get a routine going! There are 1,440 minutes in a day so see where children can use at least 60 of them for activity. Remember you don't have to do it all at once even 10 minutes at a time counts.
4. Make it family time. Enjoy a laugh and a chat while going for a walk, cycle or swim.
5. Teach your children the games you played when you were younger, they will enjoy them as
much as you did!
6. Let your children earn their pocket money by doing active chores such as hoovering, raking up leaves and washing the car.
7. Encourage your children to walk or cycle to school or at least some of the way where possible.
8. Encourage your children to take part in after school activities.
9. Help your children to develop basic skills such as throwing and catching. Get them to practice and show you the skills they learn in P.E.
10. Give the gift of activity. Buy gifts that encourage activity such as skipping ropes, hula-hoops, balls etc.