I wish to draw your attention to an important meeting that will take place in the hall of the Junior School on Monday, October 23rd at 7:00 p.m.
At this meeting, two parents’ nominees will be elected to the Board of Management of both the Junior and Senior schools – one father and one mother for the Junior School and one father and one mother for the Senior school.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of previous board members for the wonderful contribution they have made to our schools over the last number of years.
The Board of Management is the body which has the responsibility for the governance of the school. As such, it is a very important body, and the parent representatives occupy a crucial role on the Board of Management. Further information is contained on the information sheet below. Parents are asked to read this carefully.
I would especially like to draw your attention to the following matters in relation to the election of parent representatives to the Board of Management:
· Only parents present at the meeting can nominate another parent to the Board of Management.
· Only parents present on the night of the meeting can be nominated to the Board of Management
· Only parents present on the night can vote, if elections are called.
Alma Moran Enda McGorman
Mary Mother of Hope JNS Mary Mother of Hope SNS
Election of Parent Representatives to the Board of Management
Mary, Mother of Hope Junior and Senior National Schools operate under the patronage of the Archbishop of Dublin, Dermot Farrell, D.D. The Board of Management is the body nominated by the Archbishop with the responsibility for the direct governance of the school.
Composition of the Board of Management
The Board of Management, when fully constituted consists of:
- Two direct nominees of the patron of the school,
- Two parents of children enrolled in the school, one a mother and one a father, elected by the parents of children enrolled in the school.
- The principal teacher of the school
- One other teacher, elected by the teaching staff of the school
- Two extra members, nominated by the above six nominees on or after the first meeting of the Board of Management.
Procedure for the election of the parent representatives to the Board of Management.
- a meeting of parents of children enrolled in the school will take place for the purpose of the election of two parent representatives to the Board of Management.
- At the meeting, nominations will be invited for a mothers’ panel and a fathers’ panel, as follows:
§ When a parent has been nominated, he/she must indicate their willingness to act on the Board of Management.
§ If there is only one nominee for either panel, the nominee shall be deemed elected to the Board of Management
§ If more than one nomination is received for either panel, a secret ballot will be held at the meeting, details of which are below.
Procedure for the balloting of parents
- an election is called when there is more than one nominee for either the mothers’ panel or the father’s panel
- each person voting is entitled to one non-transferable vote for each panel
- the votes shall be counted in public
- the nominee with the highest number of votes in each panel shall be deemed elected